What Are The Projections For Plantain Processing In Nigeria
- How to Make Groundnut Oil in Nigeria?
- Requirements For Starting a Small Sized Bakery
- What Is The Cost In Starting Fruit Juice Business In Nigeria
- How To Start Fruit Juice Production In a Small/Medium Scale Level
- What is The Natural Preservative For Juices
- How Do i Start Milling Local Palm Kernel
- What Are The Basic Equipment's For Small Bread Bakery?
The article is very relevant and valid. Although the price of things might have changed a bit due to some forces known and unknown. However, the procedure, process and projection is still very much the same.
Let me just give more explanation briefly.
In Nigeria, the potential national demand for plantain flour has been estimated to be in excess of 200,000 Tonnes/Annum. That is very huge. The current supply level is probably less than 20% of the estimated demand with only few companies producing on mechanized and commercial scale.
Plantain flour apart from been used as a substitute for garri especially for diabetic patients , also serve as a raw material used in the production of cakes,puff-puff,biscuit ,bread and pan cakes.
The various which the product the product can be put to coupled with the nutrition and medicinal effects of plantain, makes plantain a high soughted after product. Plantain flour is a cheap source of iron, protein and vitamin A and the product can be marketed through market women, food canteens, hotels and supermarkets.
These usefulness is the magic behind behind demand of plantain flour.
Small scale set up
The facilities required for a small/medium scale plantain flour mill include drying machine, slicing/chipping machine, milling machine and packaging machine.
The major raw material required for production is the unripe plantain pulp which can be sourced mainly from the southern part of the country due to the climatic condition of the area. Some of the plantain producing states in Nigeria includes Delta, Edo, Anambra, Abia, Akwa –Ibom ,Enugu, Ebonyi, Benue,Rivers, Cross River,Bayelsa,Lagos, Oyo, Ogun, Ondo, Ekiti and Osun state with Cross River state accounting for the bulk of the production in Nigeria.
Nigeria is said to be the largest producer of plantain in West Africa. So no problem about getting Plantain supply.
The processing line for plantain flour production is as follows:
1. Sorting: This involves inspection of plantain fingers to identify and remove unsuitable ones
i.e. spoilt, immature pulps e.t.c.
2. Weighing: The sorted plantains are properly weighed to quantify input of the raw plantain.
3. Blanching: The green plantain fruits are soaked in hot water for some minutes to soften
the skin for easy peeling.
4. Peeling: The plantain peels are removed manually using sharp knives to obtain the pulp.
5. Slicing/Chipping: The pulp is sliced or chipped with the aid of a mechanical slicer.
6. Drying: The sliced plantain is dried in a short time with the aid of an industrial drying
7. Milling: The dried plantain slices/chips are milled in a hammer mill.
8. Sieving: The flour is sieved to obtain the desire particle size.
9. Packaging: The flour is packaged in moisture proof packaging material ready for sale
This is a business that can make you a total boss.
I hope this helped.