Searching for how to apply for Nigerian international passport, or Nigerian passport application form or any form of questions relating to how to obtain an international passport as a Nigerian.
This article is all about giving you the answer to your question. At the end of this short post, you will have all the knowledge you need about how to apply for Nigerian international passport without stress or risk of anything.
What is a Nigerian International Passport?
A passport is a travel document, usually issued by the government of a nation that certifies the identity and nationality of its holder for the purpose of international travel. A valid Nigerian international passport is a vital piece of document issued to Nigerian citizens intending to travel outside the country.
Nigerian citizens must apply for an international passport. Whether it’s an annual family holiday or multiple international business trips, or for studies, or for vacation, pleasure and any other means. The cost of Nigerian international passport and renewal is not too expensive, so you should get yours when it’s time to leave the country.
To apply for a new passport, the Nigerian Immigration Services (NIS) currently only issues electronic passports (e-passports) for new applications. Ordinary citizens can apply for a Standard e-passport (green cover), while official e-passports (blue cover) are reserved for government officials and Nigerian diplomats.
How to Apply for Nigerian International Passport
There are two ways to apply for the Nigerian International passport. One way is through offline and the other way is through online. I will take you through the processes and the steps below;
How to Apply for Nigerian International Passport Offline
Offline application is more expensive than online application. You can go to the immigration office directly or go through an agent. You should be careful of agents because many of them are there to scam you.
While applying offline you will have to make available the following documents for submission of copies to the immigration officer,
- Local government or state of origin letter of identification.
- Age declaration or Birth certificate.
- Marriage certificate or marriage declaration (for female applicants only, females may also be asked to bring newspaper publication of change of name)
- Photocopies of your guarantors valid international passport and driver’s license/ national identity card.
- 2 recent passport photographs (you may have to go along with extra because of age and marriage declaration).
How to Apply for Nigerian International Passport Online
The internet is a blessing as you can do all the application online right in your bed. To obtain your international passport online, there are few guidelines to follow, and there are few documents that would be required. The documents include:
- Passport Application form (completed online and printed).
- Payment Slip.
- Local Government State of Origin.
- Birth Certificate.
- Change of name affidavit (if you’ve changed your name before).
- Photocopy of Applicant’s data page.
- Two current passport-size photographs.
- Driver’s License.
- Processing fee of N15,000.
To pay online, follow these first procedures, after which every other thing is just click and submit.
- Visit the Home page of Nigeria Immigration Portal.
- Locate & click on the e-passport tab to in the appropriate application form to start the process:
- Select your preferred passport type.
- Select your Processing Country.
- Fill in the form with your current and correct details.
- Insert the scanned copies of your required documents.
- Select your payment method and proceed to online payment.
It is faster to get your international passport in Nigeria using the offline method of applying, but applying online is less stressful.
If you meet an immigration officer physically, it would be easier to monitor your application process which in turn will facilitate you getting the passport in the quickest possible time.
Thank you for reading.